Wednesday, March 28, 2018

The Combustible Engagement (A Cobble Creek Romance) by Maria Hoagland {Review}

The Combustible Engagement by Maria Hoagland
(A Cobble Creek Romance)
Kindle Edition
Published March 18th 2018 by Gelato Publishing LLC 
Source: I received a copy, which did not affect my thoughts and opinions

To say Tess Graham has a complicated relationship with her hometown is putting it mildly. With family ties and a successful real estate business she’s built from the ground up, Tess doesn’t want to leave. Not really. She would, however, like someone to see her for who she really is rather than the overshadowed twin in one of the town’s most prominent families. If only she could make a name for herself and find her place in Cobble Creek.

When handsome wildland firefighter, Monroe Scott, comes into town and wants to buy Tess’s grandfather’s barn for his reclaimed wood business, Tess feels the tug of nostalgia she didn’t expect. How can she allow Monroe to dismantle her childhood memories board by board? But as the listing agent, how can she prevent it?

To get what they each want, Tess and Monroe enter into a very temporary, very pretend engagement. As sparks fly and tempers flare, this fake engagement ignites into something both parties fight to contain.


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/39326065-the-combustible-engagement?ac=1&from_search=true  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/39326065-the-combustible-engagement?ac=1&from_search=true
My Review: 5 Stars


I remember reading about Tess as a very secondary character in a previous Cobble Creek romance and thought she seemed kind of high maintenance. I also wasn't sure I liked her because she was dating Frankie's soul mate--hah! What really struck me with this story is that once again, I learned that you can't judge people, especially when you don't even know them.


The first encounter with Tess and Monroe was classic! Sparks flew immediately and not necessarily in a good way. As the story went on, I found myself really, really liking both Tess and Monroe, especially when they let their guards down. One of my favorite ideas in a story is a fake engagement and when the chemistry is high, it's really great and swoony. 


I can't imagine having a dangerous job like Monroe has, but I thought that was a perfect employment for the book because it created a double meaning. The sparks were hot around Cobble Creek, but also in town because of this combustible energy surrounding this couple. 


I loved getting a deeper glimpse into this town and its residents and honestly can't wait for more!


Content: moments of peril; clean, swoony romance 

No comments:

Post a Comment