Thursday, March 1, 2018

Love, Life, and the List by Kasie West {Review}

Love, Life, and the List by Kasie West
ebook, 384 pages
Published December 26th 2017 by HarperTeen 


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/35068742-love-life-and-the-list?ac=1&from_search=true


Seventeen-year-old Abby Turner’s summer isn’t going the way she’d planned. She has a not-so-secret but definitely unrequited crush on her best friend, Cooper. She hasn’t been able to manage her mother’s growing issues with anxiety. And now she’s been rejected from an art show because her work “has no heart.” So when she gets another opportunity to show her paintings Abby isn’t going to take any chances.

Which is where the list comes in.

Abby gives herself one month to do ten things, ranging from face a fear (#3) to learn a stranger’s story (#5) to fall in love (#8). She knows that if she can complete the list she’ll become the kind of artist she’s always dreamed of being. But as the deadline approaches, Abby realizes that getting through the list isn’t as straightforward as it seems… and that maybe—just maybe—she can’t change her art if she isn’t first willing to change herself.

This is the first in a set of three standalone books with crossover characters.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
My Review: 4 Stars

First of all, I was so happy to see that this is the first in a three book series because I'm dying to get to know the Four Amigos better. Cooper and Abby are just two of the four. Abby is an artist and in an attempt to develop more "heart" in her painting, she comes up with a list. I love this idea! In a way, it's a little like a Bucket List, but it's more immediate and more about experiences and overcoming things than it is about visiting places. I think anything like this, forcing yourself out of the box, will help develop perspective and character. In fact, I may try something like this myself (yes, even at my age).


Abby is snarky and sarcastic, but I really adored her--especially the relationships and interactions that she shares with her grandpa, her deployed dad, and her problematic mom. I love the person she grows into as she tackles this list and I really love the friendship she shares with Cooper, although there were times when I thought she was just a glutton for punishment--you know, unrequited love and all. Cooper is funny, lovable, and clueless, but I still found him charming.

This book is angsty and sweet and the feels hit me right in the heart. I'm still a little undecided on the ending, but overall I really did enjoy my summer with Cooper and Abby in their beach town.


Content: very mild romance


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


Buy Links:


http://amzn.to/2otGWgw  https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/love-life-and-the-list-kasie-west/1126314407?ean=9780062675774#/
  

No comments:

Post a Comment