Saturday, June 22, 2013

Book Review: Temptation by Karen Ann Hopkins

****--4 stars.
length: 385 pages
publication: June 2012
Amazon book description:  
Your heart misleads you. That's what my friends and family say.
But I love Noah. And he loves me. We met and fell in love in the sleepy farming community of Meadowview, while we rode our horses together through the grassy fields and in those moments in each other's arms. It should be ROSE & NOAH forever, easy.
But it won't be.
Because he's Amish. And I'm not.

My Review: I read this one last year and enjoyed it. Is it just me or is there an obsession with all things Amish lately? I can't decide if it's the thoughts of a simpler life or like looking into a secret-ish society, but I find it quite fascinating. There seems to be quite an influx of Amish fiction books. This one is marked YA, but I wouldn't recommend it to younger teens. It's full of chemistry and attraction, but it seems like all the kissing is a little of the French variety.

 Rose's mother dies and her Dr. dad moves her and her two brothers to rural Ohio--right into the heart of Amish country. Their nearest neighbors, an Amish family, comes to welcome them and as soon as Rose's eyes meet Noah's, one of the sons, there is an instant--and strong--electrical connection. Their worlds aren't supposed to mix, but they form a forbidden romance anyway.

Noah is such a gentleman and so intense--he has smoldering looks. :) He would do just about anything for Rose, yet this time around, he came across as quite possessive and not willing to give an inch. Rose is a typical 16 year old girl who becomes almost desperate in her love for Noah. I thought she was a little immature, thinking that this boy is her whole world, but isn't that how a first, teen love is?

One of my favorite things was the normal relationship between Rose and her brothers. I thought the insight into the Amish world was interesting and really enjoyed how each chapter went back and forth between Rose's and Noah's points of view. Content: some language; mention of teen drinking and promiscuous behavior, but if any happens, it's behind closed doors; pretty intense kissing scenes.

If you want to give this one a whirl, you can purchase it on amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment