Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Mistress Grim by Jane Redd {Review}


Mistress Grim by Jane Redd
ebook, 145 pages
Expected publication: November 28th 2017 by Mirror Press


**This is part of the Shattered Worlds boxed set and the set is NOW available here**

The Grim Reaper has been collecting souls of the dead for hundreds of years, but even the Master of Death has to pass on his reign. Unfortunately, his progeny is not quite ready to replace him.

Cora Grim, daughter of the Grim Reaper, is suddenly thrust into her father’s role. Leaving the Underworld on her own to bring back the dead souls, she discovers that the Master of Death neglected to tell her one thing. She can still fall in love.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
My Review: 5 Stars

I'll admit it--sometimes the fantasy genre makes me nervous because I either get completely caught up in the weird names or lost in the world building. But I had nothing to fear with this one! Cora is the Grim Reaper's daughter and discovers new secrets as she embarks on a journey in her new role.

Jane Redd does a fabulous job of building the Underworld and connecting it to mortals. The characters are easy to connect with and their emotions are almost tangible, especially the feelings of love, longing, and loss. My attention was captured from the first page to the last and I loved the way the different worlds were fastened together with fragile strings.

This is a novella, but it feels complete and I'm seriously amazed at how well everything was put together in such a short amount of time. There are tendrils of romance, adventure, conflict, danger, and mystery whirling throughout the story--what more could you want?

Content: mild-moderate violence (death, fighting, some descriptions that aren't too graphic); mild romance.

*I received a copy to review, which didn't affect my opinion in any way. All thoughts are my own.*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

OTHER BOOKS BY JANE REDD:

Solstice
Lake Town

No comments:

Post a Comment