Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Finders Keepers (Rebels of the Lamp #2) by Michael M.B. Galvin & Peter Speakman {Review}



Finders Keepers (Rebels of the Lamp #2)
by Michael M.B. Galvin & Peter Speakman

Hardcover, 288 pages
Published February 7th 2017 by Disney Hyperion 
 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/29944868-finders-keepers?from_search=true

After Parker and his friends destroyed the evil genie, Xaru, they awoke an even greater threat: Vesiroth. An immortal sorcerer who was frozen for centuries is now free, and he’s determined to finish what he had started—taking over the world. In order to accomplish his goal he must find the Elicuum Helm, an ancient object that will grant the user extraordinary powers. But the helm was broken into three pieces many years ago, and now Parker, along with his genie, Fon-Rham, his cousin Theo, Reese and Vesiroth’s former protégé, will have to travel the globe to find the helm first before it's too late.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

My Review: 3.5 Stars

I read this one aloud with my kids and at first, we didn't realize it was Book 2 in a series. I guess I thought maybe it could stand alone? But there are some things that left us confused by not having read the first book, so I recommend reading them in order.

That said, this story is full of magic, danger, and genies, as well as a group of 7th graders who are working with some adults to stop a powerful threat--Vesiroth. This is a smart and resourceful group of kids, which I think is very intriguing to the middle grade reader. I like how they work together to come up with a plan and think fast on their feet when surprises are thrown their way.

The action and adventure is intense, especially when some events reveal unexpected twists. It is a fun and entertaining story, but I think we (my kids and myself) would have enjoyed it more if we had read the first book.

Content: mild language; mild violence.

*I received a copy from the publisher, which didn't influence my opinion in any way.*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Buy Link:

http://amzn.to/2fLFwN6

No comments:

Post a Comment