Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Love & Gelato by Jenna Evans Welch {Review}



Love & Gelato by Jenna Evans Welch

Hardcover, 389 pages
Published May 3rd 2016 by Simon Pulse
Source: Borrowed from the library
 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25756328-love-gelato
 
“I made the wrong choice.”

Lina is spending the summer in Tuscany, but she isn’t in the mood for Italy’s famous sunshine and fairy-tale landscape. She’s only there because it was her mother’s dying wish that she get to know her father. But what kind of father isn’t around for sixteen years? All Lina wants to do is get back home.

But then she is given a journal that her mom had kept when she lived in Italy. Suddenly Lina’s uncovering a magical world of secret romances, art, and hidden bakeries. A world that inspires Lina, along with the ever-so-charming Ren, to follow in her mother’s footsteps and unearth a secret that has been kept for far too long. It’s a secret that will change everything she knew about her mother, her father—and even herself.

People come to Italy for love and gelato, someone tells her, but sometimes they discover much more.
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
My Review: 4 Stars
 
I've thought a lot about dying wishes lately (I heard something on the radio where people could text in wishes they've experienced) and in a way, it makes sense that Lina's mom wished for her to go and live with her dad in Italy. But...Lina's never met him, never even knew who he was, and isn't sure she wants to go. But she does.
 
I loved experiencing Italy through Lina's eyes and through her mom's eyes. While there, she's given a journal that her mom kept when she lived there and by reading it, Lina is able to experience things as her mother did and is given clues to figure out a little mystery surrounding her mother's past. I love a little secret and I seriously felt like I was along for the ride in discovering this beautiful country on an intimate level.
 
Lina is charming and strong, but her heart is no match for two potential love interests. I love how that angle worked out and I especially loved how Lina came to terms with everything. I thought her relationships were very realistic and full of many different emotions, which connected me to the story and characters. I love how the journal played such an important role in her development and bonds with others.
 
This is a fun story that now has me dying to go to Italy and to taste that scrumptious gelato firsthand.
 
Content: some underage (in the US) drinking/partying; mild romance; very mild language.
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
Buy Links:
 
http://amzn.to/2hljAJ4  https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/love-gelato-jenna-evans-welch/1122088370?ean=9781481432559
  

No comments:

Post a Comment