Thursday, May 2, 2013

Review: Daddy's Gone A Hunting by Mary Higgins Clark

Kate and Hannah are in the middle of a mystery when their family's antique furniture store/museum/warehouse explodes, leaving Kate in a medically-induced coma and a former worker (and friend) dead. Meanwhile, there are several other unsolved murders around New York City that seem to be possibly tied in somehow. 

Some of Mary Higgins Clark's books have me going back and forth and here and there, trying to figure out who did it. For me, this was one of those books. Maybe others can figure it out, but I was going to the end. There's also a certain style to her books that make me kind of nostalgic. I think it's in some of the words and phrases she uses. For example, "she phoned her order in" or something like that. It makes me think of when I was young and listening to my grandma talk, and it's comforting.

I like how there are several side stories, yet everyone is somehow interconnected. The author always seems to do a great job of managing that.

I think this is one of her better ones in the last few years.

Content: a handful of language; it's a murder-mystery, so of course, some violence.

****

1 comment:

  1. I love Mary Higgins Clark and picked this up when it first came out but haven't gotten around to it yet. Now I'm excited to read it!

    ReplyDelete