Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Book Review: Being Jamie Baker by Kelly Oram


3.5 stars


I felt like I should have known some background to this story before reading this book. I kept wondering if it was book 2 of a series. Slowly, but surely, the reader is filled in on what makes Jamie the way she is, but I kept feeling like I was missing something.

Jamie Baker was in an accident, which resulted in some superhero powers. She is known as the "Ice Queen" at her new school and when Ryan Miller takes a dare/bet from his friend to try and get her to kiss him, so goes for it. What neither of them realized was that kiss would be more than they bargained for.

Jamie always seemed so angry. She was right on the line of being rude to Ryan all the time, yet he just wouldn't go away. Ryan was really amazing. A lot of times, you think of the stereotypical HS quarterback and what he's like and you wouldn't put those ideas with the who Ryan is.

I can understand (to a point) why Jamie was the way she was, but because of that (the major negativity, anger issues, rough edges), I felt it was hard to connect to her--and even to like her.

However, this is a creative, fascinating story and for me, that makes up for some of the flaws.

Content: some innuendos; kissing.

No comments:

Post a Comment