Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Book Review: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows

I have to admit, right off the bat, that I was a little disappointed. I read an e-version and I thought I still had a lot of story left to look forward to, but when I "turned" the page at 68%, it was over.

That aside, I loved it!!! It took me several page to get into the style of it (a novel written strictly in letters), but once I did, I was amazed at how much I learned and discovered about an incident that I didn't even realize had happened in history (German occupation on the island of Guernsey, located in the English Channel). I didn't even know where Guernsey was, prior to reading this book.  I was also amazed at how well the characters voices came across through a series of letters. I truly felt that I got to know each and every one of them, even Elizabeth, who was absent at the time.

Which led me to my next thought--did most people write such interesting, informational letters during that time period?? Have we lost that art in our day and age? Maybe, maybe not.

Of course, I loved the romance angle of it. :)

My son has to read this over the summer for his high school and it will be interesting to see how a teenage boy feels about this story.

Content: some language; mention of war violence.
*****--5 Stars.

1 comment:

  1. I love your review! I also didn't know anything about the German occupation and loved all the quirky characters. I read it with my book club and we all want to go there to visit!

    ReplyDelete