Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Book Review: Finding June by Shannen Crane Camp

****--4 Stars.
June Laurie is a 16 year old high school student, and occasional actress. She is also a Mormon, getting up super early to take a seminary class before her before zero hour school class starts. When she lands a recurring guest role on a popular crime scene drama, her life changes quite a bit--but not necessarily for the better. Her morals and values are tested quite a lot, as are her relationships with friends and family.

June is compared to Lillian Gish (silent film star from the 20s), so of course I had to google her and I pictured her, but more modern, in my mind. I loved how June was herself. She embraced her vintage side; her feminine side; her innocent, naive side. She was placed in situations where it would be so easy to toss your values by the wayside.

Joseph, June's BFF, was pretty amazing. He's a wanna-be actor himself and for some reason, I pictured Joseph Gordon-Leavitt right away--especially that picture where he looks like he is a throw-back to the 20s. He put up with so much, yet he was a true and loyal friend. I love how he was everything to June--confidant, friend, brother, protector.

I loved Candice, the make-up artist. For her, I kept picturing someone like Wanda Sykes. And the two comedian partners really cracked me up. I kept picturing Sean and Gus from Psych. They seemed so much older than they really were. Lukas? Bleh! He had my skin crawling and made me think of a snake.

I thought this was a fun, entertaining story with a lot of great characters. There was a mention or two of immoral things that some actors do, but it wasn't descriptive and the content was clean!

Buy it on Amazon here:
Finding June (The June Series)

1 comment:

  1. I have this and have been wanting to read it and now I want to read it even more! Great review!

    ReplyDelete