Friday, September 28, 2018

Rule #2: You Can't Crush on Your Sworn Enemy by Anne-Marie Meyer {Review}

https://amzn.to/2QT8vwo
Rule #2: You Can't Crush on Your Sworn Enemy (Rules of Love Series) by Anne-Marie Meyer
Kindle Edition, 178 pages
Published August 22nd 2018 
Source: Kindle Unlimited
 https://amzn.to/2QT8vwo   https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/41029928-rule-2?ac=1&from_search=true
He was my enemy, but my heart had other ideas.

I live by three rules.

One: I never get lower than an A in any class.
Two: I never lose a cross-country race.
And Three: I never talk to Cade Kelley

Well, number three came crashing down the moment Principal Connell asks me to guide Cade back onto the right path. Something about helping him turn his life around. If only Principal Connell knew our history, he’d understand just what he’s asking.

But, I have an incessant need to please all adults, so of course I say yes.

When Cade seems pleased as well, I can’t help but wonder if this is part of some scheme. A plan he’s worked up to finish me once and for all. Apparently, what he did in junior high wasn’t enough.

Just when I think I have everything figured out, my life spirals out of control. Suddenly, adults suck—especially parents—and pleasing them becomes the last thing I want to do. What confuses me even more is in the moment I choose to run away, the first person I go to is the one guy I swore I would never get close to.

Hopefully, the Cade I’ve uncovered won’t hurt me because I’m so close to breaking.
My Review: 4 Stars

Enemies to lovers. Sometimes our enemies are simply misunderstood and that may be the case with Cade. He doesn't take anything seriously and when he needs help getting back on the right path, serious Penny enters the picture.   

Yes, the relationship moved fast, but that's the way with first love, young love, especially when everything is dramatic. They each need someone to count on, and who better than the one you're attracted to? It's so tough at this age to figure out who you are and who you are meant to become.

I loved how each of them had something to offer the other that really brought balance to their lives. It's so easy to look at someone and think you know why they do what they do, but until you dig deeper than that superficial mask that everyone puts on, you have no idea what motivates them. It was enjoyable to discover their stories.

This story had a slightly edgy feel, meaning that there was a rebellious vibe in some spots, but that only served to make the book more viable and the characters became more life-like to me.

The series is delivering some favorite tropes so far and I hope to discover more of my favorites in the future.

Content: mild romance; talk of affairs; mild illegal activity; underage drinking/partying

No comments:

Post a Comment