Friday, September 13, 2013

Book Review: A Twist of Date by Susan Hatler

****--4 Stars.
July 2013, 89 pages.

Amazon Description: (Better Date than Never series, Book #5)

Melanie Porter has been dumped—again. When others accuse her of “being in love with being in love,” she agrees to let her best friend, Patti, step in and direct her dating life.

The Boyfriend Bylaws by Patti Hartley

Rule #1: No giving out your phone number until approved to do so.
Rule #2: Must obtain permission to accept any date invitation.
Rule #3: No bringing up marriage, kids or the future.
Rule #4: No going to first base without authorization.
Amended Rule #4: No going to first base, or any other base, without authorization.
Rule #5: No scribbling your first name with some guy’s last name. Ever.
Rule #6: New rules may be added as Patti Hartley deems necessary.

Memorize it, live by it, and happy dating!
 

My Review: I was so confused!! I downloaded this when it was free and never bothered to read the description, since I enjoy the stories Ms. Hatler writes. I kept thinking, "I've read this before--I know I have." but when I looked on my goodreads shelf, I hadn't. I thought maybe I read it and forgot to review it, but then, on my second check, I noticed that it mentioned The Boyfriend Bylaws. Yes, it's been updated and released under a new title. That made me feel so much better!! I seriously thought I was going crazy.

That said, I really enjoyed this short little story. Melanie has bad luck with men and jumps into a "relationship" at every chance, only to find herself burned. Her good friend and roommate comes up with some rules to help her find a healthy relationship and what she discovers surprises even her.

The characters weren't super developed, but the reader gets a feel for who they are and their personalities, knowing that it's a novella. I loved some of the funny situations Mel found herself in--very giggle-worthy.

Content: technically clean, but brief references to intimate things and situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment