Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Book Review: The Others by Kristin Bryant


*****--5 Stars.
September 2013, 192 pages.
Source: Copy from author for review

Description: A dangerous adventure to save a distant world Ryen is just a normal guy trying to do his job. Unfortunately, that job includes trying to save his distant world on the brink of disaster.
Ryen is on a mission to Earth to find the answers to his distant world’s most critical questions. While searching the Yucatan Peninsula for a mythic figure—a savior—who would live a perfect life and ultimately die to save their souls, Ryen meets Savannah, a beautiful woman hiding a painful past. On their dangerous adventures together through the untamed jungles of Mexico, he can’t help but fall in love with her. As his time runs out, Ryen must decide if he is willing to give up everything he has ever known and loved to stay on Earth with Savannah.
The Masters, a powerful clan of corrupt leaders, are plotting to take back Earth, the sacred planet, from the humans. Ryen and Savannah are thrust into the middle of The Masters’ plot.


My Review: I thought the premise sounded very interesting. I believe that there are worlds without number that have been created and have often wondered if there is another planet somewhere out there with life on it. That's exactly what this story showed. Ryen and his friends were basically human, but just not from Earth. So...I found it interesting, but I was blown away by how much I actually enjoyed it. There was (clean) romance; suspense; fantasy elements; religious overtones; and a lot of action/adventure. I not typically a huge fantasy fan because some of it is very strange and out there, but this was just the right amount.

I love Ryen!! He was charming enough to find the information he needed, but kind enough to treat people with respect. He didn't take advantage of people and their situations, he just did his job. I love how determined he was and how he was willing to sacrifice everything for what he truly wanted and believed in.

Savannah is such a strong and brave girl!! I cannot imagine traveling the world alone and being able to protect myself the way she did. She was skeptical, with good reason, yet was willing to follow her heart, no matter the cost.

Mateo, Chase, and Claire were all a lot of fun and were such good friends--the kind who stick by each other through thick and thin.

I loved seeing the pieces of the puzzle fit together and the adventure really kept me flipping the pages. I was surprised to find myself on the last page. I will definitely be on the lookout for more by this author.

Content: kissing; man and woman share a bed, but nothing happens; a handful of mild language; violence and death, but not overly graphic; drug use and the negative effects.

**I received a copy from the author for review and this in no way influenced my opinion**

Author Bio:
Kristin Bryant graduated from Brigham Young University with a degree in Education and obtained her Masters of Education from California State University, Fullerton. She now teaches psychology and anthropology for a virtual high school. She lives in Orange County, California with her husband and two sons. Kristin was diagnosed with stage 2 breast cancer in February of 2013. She is continuing her fight and looks forward to the completion of treatment at the end of the year. Her first novel, The Others, will be released September, 2013. Visit her at kristinbryant.com or her writing blog at http://imwritingabook-author.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment