Friday, July 5, 2013

Book Review: Blackmoore by Julianne Donaldson

Blackmoore, how I love thee!! What a terrific novel by a great new(ish) author!!

Kate comes from an embarrassing family. Her father sits back in oblivion, while her mother flirts with any man she can get her claws into. Her sisters seem to be patterning themselves after their mother. Kate determines to become and old maid and travel to India with her spinster aunt, but her mother won't allow it unless she receives...and rejects...three marriage proposals. She asks her longtime friend, Henry, to help her out so that she can live her heart's desire. But some bargains are hard to drive...

My heart went out to Kate. She was known as Kitty as a child and no one, save Henry, will let her break that mold and grow up. She is forever correcting everyone on her name. Her family is so selfish and Henry's mother is just plain mean toward her, yet Kate is the most unselfish and kind person ever, always thinking of the feelings of others. I really liked her and felt a connection to her, which for me, draws me into the story even more.

Henry was such a gentleman and true friend. He goes against his (mean) mother to help a friend have a dream come true. Those stormy gray eyes... Any girl would be lucky to have someone like Henry on her side.

I loved the friendship and chemistry these two have together. I loved the flashbacks to the past that Kate had--they were the strings that tied the story together to help the reader understand what makes Kate tick. This author has a way of drawing the reader in--I really felt like I was a part of their lives.

Put this one on your "to-read" list because you don't want to miss out on this one!!

Content: clean.

**received a copy from Netgalley and that in way influenced my review**

1 comment:

  1. This sounds so good! I may have to move it to the top of my list.

    ReplyDelete