Saturday, July 13, 2013

Book Review: Charlotte's Web by E.B. White


****--4 Stars
Book Description:  Charlotte's Web is the story of a little girl named Fern who loved a little pig named Wilbur—and of Wilbur's dear friend Charlotte A. Cavatica, a beautiful large grey spider who lived with Wilbur in the barn.
With the help of Templeton, the rat who never did anything for anybody unless there was something in it for him, and by a wonderfully clever plan of her own, Charlotte saved the life of Wilbur, who by this time had grown up to quite a pig.
How all this comes about is Mr. White's story. It is a story of the magic of childhood on the farm. The thousands of children who loved Stuart Little, the heroic little city mouse, will be entranced with Charlotte the spider, Wilbur the pig, and Fern, the little girl who understood their language.
The forty-seven black-and-white drawings by Garth Williams have all the wonderful detail and warmhearted appeal that children love in his work. Incomparably matched to E.B. White's marvelous story, they speak to each new generation, softly and irresistibly. 

When I was growing up, we didn't have a library in our small town. I remember when I started school, my mom got special permission for me to check a book out for a month from my school library. I was in Kindergarten and we weren't allowed to check books out, so this was a big deal. She had me get Charlotte's Web. Oh, how I loved that book!! I've read it to my kids twice and have enjoyed each time all over again.

My Review:  Such a classic! I remember this book from when I was a child and it's such a comforting story. My kids love it as well.

Wilbur is the runt of the litter and is set to be killed when Fern, the farmer's daughter, steps in to rescue the pig. When he gets bigger, he is sent to live on her uncle's farm, where he is set to be killed in the winter. Wilbur's best friend, Charlotte the spider comes to his rescue this time but spinning words into her web to attract attention and make the people realize what a great pig he is.

It's funny to me that all that attention is directed to the pig and not to the incredible spider who weaves those magical words, as Mrs. Zuckerman is quick to point out. I think sometimes our words can put thoughts into others minds. 



I love the chats and discussions that the barnyard animals have. The snooty goose; the lazy rat; the wise and kind spider; the innocent pig. So much fun!! To this day, I love pigs!! I wonder if this book is the reason for that...


A fun, cute, coming-of-age story that people of all ages would enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment