Thursday, July 25, 2013

Book Review: Emma: A Latter-Day Tale by Rebecca H. Jamison

****--4 Stars.
Coming...August 13, 2013

Book Description: Emma's her name and matchmaking is her game! Quirky life coach Emma wants to help her first-ever client, a lonely nanny named Harriet. But all of her attempts at matchmaking result only in embarrassing miscues and blunders, leaving the pair disheartened and confused. This modern take on the Jane Austen classic shows that sometimes the greatest match is the one we make for ourselves.

My Review: I really enjoyed this modern LDS version of Emma. I thought this story was told in a fun way and I loved the modern twists.

Emma, Emma, Emma. I was almost embarrassed for her at times because she was so focused on her life coaching and "helping" that she often made a mess of things--without meaning to, of course. What I also really liked is that Emma was this 6 foot tall woman with flaming red hair, that she insisted on calling auburn, who tried so hard to be a good person, yet wasn't perfect at all. Not at all. There were times when I wanted to snap at Emma to wake her up to see what was right in front of her, but...that's just a part of the story.

I really enjoyed the cast of characters who were all so different, yet they had similar threads that tied them together. I mean, we have a rising country music star, an elusive businessman (who also happens to be a new step cousin, I believe), a nanny, interesting neighbors, a father who can't cut the apron strings, and unique friends from church.

I found myself often groaning or smiling and really enjoying the story. So...if you're a fan of modern re-tellings of classic Austen stories, be sure to pick this one up.

Content: clean.

**I got a copy from Netgalley and that in no way influenced my review**

To purchase, click  here.

No comments:

Post a Comment