Friday, January 24, 2020

Is This Shoulder Taken? by D.M. Drake {Review}

Is This Shoulder Taken? (The Carrington Series Book 1) by D.M. Drake
Kindle Edition, 139 pages
Published May 25th 2019 by Amazon Digital Services 
Source: Kindle Unlimited
 https://amzn.to/2sKG2le    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/46141953-is-this-shoulder-taken
He walked away and out of the restaurant. He had broken our engagement and my heart into a million pieces. I felt hollow, like that Tori Kelly song. How, would I ever find my heart again?

A Novella

The Carrington Series (Book 1) - Kendall Prescott was an art gallery owner looking forward to her wedding to the handsome Mark West, her childhood crush. He breaks their engagement and in the process, her heart. He walked away from her without an explanation.

She wasn't expecting to meet the unbelievably handsome, Greyson Carrington. He is a charming, extremely wealthy billionaire, and self-proclaimed eternal bachelor. Will their blossoming friendship turn into a love that heals Kendall's heart? Or will she experience heartbreak all over again, when Greyson's high school sweetheart unexpectedly enters his life after a tragedy with a twist? Kendall is in for a bumpy emotional rollercoaster ride. Stay tuned to see where it ends!  
My Review: 3 Stars

This debut novella shows a lot of author potential, but I struggled to find an emotional connection to the characters and their situations, as they remained two dimensional for me. 

The story alternates points of view between Kendall and Greyson and I was yearning to dwell in each of their hearts and minds for time, but there was too much telling and not nearly enough showing for me, reading like a travelogue with a lot of the same details repeated. Kendall's had a rough life and things are finally looking up for her, but she's very insecure in her relationships and decisions. I wanted to watch the character arc in action, because that is one of my favorite things about stories like this.

I would have loved more information on the important things and events, especially character thoughts and feelings, while combining or eliminating the rest. I felt like there was too much detail on things that didn't matter and not enough on what did. 

I loved the premise and idea of this book--it would make a beautiful story fleshed out more. Although there were a lot of grammatical/spelling errors, I still found this book delightful and I was interested enough in the characters and plot to keep reading.

Content: mild romance 

No comments:

Post a Comment