Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Class of '98 by A.L. Player REVIEW

18461613
November 2013, Swoon Romances, 238 pages

Description: Jackie Dunn and Matt Stewart barely knew each other in high school, back when she was a blue-haired alterna-kid and he was a preppy jock. High school rules dictated they'd never hang out, or sit at the same lunch table, or God forbid, date.

But when a weird storm transports them from their ten-year reunion back to senior year, they have to work together to figure out a way to get back to 2008.

Stuck in high school, Jackie and Matt agree to tough it out. They agree to do everything exactly as they remember, even though that means staying with the boyfriend Jackie knows will betray her, or playing nice with the girl that will someday be Matt’s ex-wife. Soon, they come to rely on one other, even become friends.

Jackie’s just starting to get used to curfews and term papers again, when Matt hits her with the biggest surprise of all: he’s fallen in love with her. He’ll change the past however he has to if it means a future with Jackie. But Jackie’s terrified they’ll not only alter their lives, but the lives of everyone around them.

Back to the Future meets She's All That, Class of '98 is a young adult/adult crossover that will appeal to teens and adults
.


My Review: I thought this was a darling storyline. Doesn't pretty much everyone wonder what it would be like if you could go back to the past and change things? Even one thing? This story had all the ingredients to make a terrific story, but I didn't like some of the content.

Take one secure teenager, Jackie, add another secure teenager from a different clique and watch how the future may or may not change. It seemed that Jackie became more insecure as she grew older because of something that happened to her in high school. She looked like a rebel with her blue hair, but was a really good girl and I loved the changes she made with herself. Matt was also pretty secure with himself and was such a good friend and support to Jackie, even when she tried pushing him away. I had forgotten how far the technological world has come in 16 years.

I hate it when I can't decide how to rate a book. I'm not a big fan of teenage "hooking up" and drinking; I know it happens, but it's just not something I approve of, nor is it something in my standards, and that's what makes it hard for me to rate. Technically, the one night stand was between two 28 year old people who had traveled back to their 18 year old lives, and it faded to black--no descriptions. Technically, the two main characters aren't underage drinkers, but everyone else at the parties are too young to be doing what they're doing. But I really, really liked the storyline, the lessons learned, and the way it ended, therefore, I gave it a higher rating. Just take note of the content.

Content: moderate swearing; no violence; kissing, talk of hooking up, lots of drinking, talk of drug use, a fade-to-black one night stand. I would say it's still PG-13, but for older readers.


1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed this book too. I thought it was a cool concept.

    Great review

    Michelle @ Book Briefs

    ReplyDelete