Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Ever Only Friends by Shaela Kay {Review}

Ever Only Friends by Shaela Kay

Kindle Edition, 230 pages
Published January 26th 2021 
Source: Kindle Unlimited
 
 
 

They were only ever friends... but is that how they're going to stay?

When Amie’s fiancé breaks off their engagement, she does what any rational, 24-year-old law student would do: eats her weight in Ben & Jerry's and pawns the ring her ex-fiancé could have sold a kidney for. But Amie's got more problems than her expanding waistline: her entire world was planned around (and by) Derek. Without him, she doesn't even know how she likes her coffee, let alone what she wants to do with her life.

Jason is stuck running the family business, when all he really wants to do is make filet mignon and perfect his crème brûlée. When his childhood friend shows up next door with a broken heart, he takes it upon himself to cheer her up, just like he did when they were kids. She's only around for the summer—what could possibly happen?

Amie and Jason were only ever friends, so when sparks start to fly it catches them both off guard—especially since Jason’s culinary dreams are about to come true and Amie finally has her life figured out. With summer drawing to a close and Amie heading back to school, will their friendship survive the tug-of-war between them? Or will the summer end with more than just Amie's broken heart?

   

My Review: 5 Stars

It's so easy in life to go along with what makes others happy. I don't like conflict and don't enjoy rocking the boat, so I could understand and relate to Amie and how she found herself trapped in a persona that doesn't truly reflect who she used to be. A quick jilt just before walking down the aisle was actually the blessing in disguise that helped her dig out her long forgotten identity. I enjoyed discovering who Amie really was.

After a move back home, Amie reconnects with her childhood best friend, Jason. I loved how they each helped each other recognize their potential and callings in life. Fantastic characters are what really drove this book deep into my heart. I love good connections and the feel-good warmth of friends, familiarity, and love.

I'll drool over Ben and Jerry's any time, but it was Jason's cooking creations that left me with a wet spot on my shirt. I loved the flow of this story--the pacing, comfort, delicious descriptions, and dazzling chemistry made for a great story. This is my first book by this author and it won't be my last.

No comments:

Post a Comment