Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Penelope (Fairweather Sisters #1) by Anya Wylde {Review}

Penelope (Fairweather Sisters #1) by Anya Wylde
Kindle Edition, 268 pages
Published 2015 (first published January 13th 2013)  

 https://amzn.to/2DpdR0e    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/26111429-penelope
Leaving behind the rural charms of Finnshire, Miss Penelope Fairweather arrives in London with hope in her heart and a dream in her eye. The dowager, no less, has invited her for a season in London, where she will attempt to catch a husband.

Thus begins our heroine’s tale as she attempts to tackle the London season with all her rustic finesse. Unfortunately, her rustic finesse turns out to be as delicate as a fat bear trying to rip apart a honeycomb infested with buzzing bees.

What follows is a series of misadventures, love affairs, moonlit balls, fancy clothes, fake moustaches, highwaymen, sneering beauties, pickpockets, and the wrath of a devilishly handsome duke.
 

My Review: 4 Stars

Penelope is a super fun (and funny) Regency romance and I was constantly laughing at Penelope's naivety and uncomfortable scrapes. I hate finding myself in situations such as she found herself in, but it was refreshing to be able to laugh along with her, and at her, as I realized that it's not the end of the world to be so thoroughly unsettled.

Penelope is a light-hearted and almost backwards character and coming to London to make a match is her dream. Right from the start, she steps out on the wrong foot and things only slide downhill from there, but in the most humorous ways possible. I loved the camaraderie that she shared with Anne and every ensuing mishap and adventure that came their way.

The Duke is handsome, unruffled, and stern, and I wanted to warm up to him faster than I did. It drove me crazy at how harsh and unlikable he was--I know his severe behavior was part of the conflict of the story, but I wanted to see a few more cracks in his facade.

Overall, this is an enchanting and amusing story that brought many embarrassed smiles to my face.

Content: very mild romance; mild language

No comments:

Post a Comment