Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Review: The Skeleton in My Closet Wears a Wedding Dress by Sally Johnson

The Skeleton in My Closet Wears a Wedding Dress by Sally Johnson
252 pages, May 2014 by Covenant Communications, Inc. 
My Rating: 4 Stars
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21534287-the-skeleton-in-my-closet-wears-a-wedding-dress?from_search=true&search_version=service
Description:
Beautiful, young Sophia Davis is confident that her decision to marry Travis will lead her to eternal bliss—but when her new husband abruptly files for divorce, she is completely blindsided. With the whole world falling apart, what’s a nineteen-year-old divorcée to do? The answer for Sophia is simple: she picks up the pieces of her shattered heart and returns to BYU. Hoping for a clean slate, she embarks on her freshman year—again. But this time, Sophia has a skeleton in her closet, and she’ll go to any length to protect her secret. As she reluctantly navigates a world populated by newly returned missionaries, sweet Suzie Homemakers, and serious students, she finds herself turning more and more to her home teacher Luke. As their friendship blossoms, will Sophia allow herself to trust again in the hope of a true happy ending?
My Review:
Sophia is like a Barbie doll, but she realizes soon after a quick marriage during her freshman year of college, looks don't always keep a man. I haven't ever been in this situation, so I can't exactly relate, but I honestly can't imagine going through what Sophia did--and all by the age of 19. College life is tough, but to add a divorce in the mix has got to be really hard.

Sophia and her situation tugged at my heartstrings. She was thrown into the world of adulthood, but then pulled back into the world of a young adult. Her confidence seems shaken and it's hard to break out of that, especially when she still holds onto hope. I loved watching Sophia gradually open up to trust again.

I thought Luke was a great friend for her and his understanding of her and her situation was priceless. What a great guy! He's one of my favorite characters.

Sophia's roommates? Wow. One of them was especially bad, but I think the others could have been extremely supportive, had they known what was going on. I think too often, we're quick to decide how others will feel and react to situations without giving them a chance to prove our thoughts wrong. It's the natural human way.

I really enjoyed the growth the characters went through and it was fun to be taken back to my college years.


Content: no language or violence; mild romance; moderate/heavy religious elements, specific to LDS church. Clean!
Buy Links: 
http://www.amazon.com/Skeleton-Closet-Wears-Wedding-Dress-ebook/dp/B00K1O6OX2/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1436883350&sr=1-1&keywords=the+skeleton+in+my+closet+wears+a+wedding+dresshttp://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-skeleton-in-my-closet-wears-a-wedding-dress/1119400174?ean=9781621088189http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-skeleton-in-my-closet-wears-a-wedding-dress/1119400174?ean=9781621088189

2 comments:

  1. This is such a cute book. I'm reading Worth Waiting For right now. It picks up right where Skeleton leaves off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just finished Book 2 and realized that I never posted my review of the first one. These are darling books! I can't wait to see your review of Worth Waiting For!

      Delete