Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Emma by Jane Austen {Review}

Emma by Jane Austen

Audiobook, Downloadable audio file
Published 2006 by Blackstone Audio Books (first published December 23rd 1815)  
Source: Borrowed from the library's Libby App 



“Emma Woodhouse, handsome, clever, and rich, with a comfortable home and happy disposition, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of existence; and had lived nearly twenty-one years in the world with little to distress or vex her.” That is, until she tries her hand at matchmaking. The results are both disappointingly unsuccessful and hilarious as Emma misreads the cues, makes some false assumptions, and unintentionally offers less than helpful advice. Fortunately, it all turns out all right in the end in this romantic comedy of manners.
 
   

 
My Review: 5 Stars
 
Delightful. Purely, utterly, charmingly delightful! I saw this movie years ago and know of the story, but I've never actually read (or listened to) the book, which is actually shocking, considering how much I love Jane Austen. I adored Emma and her precocious, busybody personality. I enjoyed Emma's friendships and relationships, and I loved Mr. Knightly.
 
Emma is so clueless--vain, wealthy, and completely self-absorbed. When she decides she's good at matchmaking, the trouble begins and although there wasn't a lot to this plot, it was fascinating, humorous, and highly entertaining. I loved all the characters, even those who annoyed me. This was such a treat to listen to and kept me smiling.

Content: mild romance

No comments:

Post a Comment