Friday, November 6, 2020

Another Chance to Dream (de Piaget #1) by Lynn Kurland {Review}

  

Another Chance to Dream (de Piaget #1) by Lynn Kurland

Paperback, 432 pages
Published December 1st 1998 by Berkley Publishing 
Source: Audiobook
 
  
 
With neither title nor land, Rhys could not win the hand of Gwennelyn of Segrave. But he would always have her heart. The two are kindred souls...Rhys, a knight with far too many notions of chivalry for his own good. And Gwen, a lover of minstral tales, waiting to be swept away. But Gwen is betrothed to another man, and Rhys fears he will lose her forever. Until a surprise offer comes his way—bringing Rhys and Gwen a second chance at love...
 
My Review: 4 Stars
 
A tale of a dashing knight and his beautiful lady is bound to be perfection and I absolutely adored parts of this story. I was hoping that with their kindred hearts and instant, deep love, Rhys and Gwen would slay dragons to be together and do whatever it took to find love and happiness, but alas, that would have been too easy. Instead, the sacrifices they each had to endure were almost heart wrenching and it was hard to understand at times why they put themselves in that situation. 
 
There is so much longing and angst, but with some solid secondary characters, I was hooked--precocious Robin, the Viking Twins, Montgomery, and the grandfather, to name a few. Rhys is chivalrous and all that I imagine a knight to be, but Gwen wasn't the lady I imagined her to be. She was very headstrong, but also demanding and entitled, which made it hard for me to endure her at first. I enjoyed watching the characters mellow and grow, but it was occasionally a long, arduous journey to get there.
 
I listened to this story and although there were parts that bothered me or dragged on, I couldn't stop listening and did enjoy it. I've read other books in this series and it was fun to get to the roots of the family and see their tale unfold.
 
Content: moderate romance (talk of infidelity, fade-to-black scenes--not graphic); mild+ violence (some abuse/mistreatment, fighting); mild language

No comments:

Post a Comment